Friday, October 22, 2010

The Blue Neon Radio

Its 3:30AM and Im awake as all get-out. Did an Ambien last night about 10PM and slipped into a coma. A nightmare woke me up. I have many, believe me. So, Im writting.

My son turned 16 this year and has been driving my Jeep. He wont drive the wifes van. Typical day around 3AM is for me to get a call. "Dad, when are u going to be home?" Answer "around 5, why?" "Silence....I need the car to go to the gym and my friends". Ok, this is everyday. I shit u not. "Son, take the van" Answer; "I m not driving that thing, its embarrassing" He is a good kid. Does well in school, Lacrosse team, works at Aropostle Clothes store (I don’t know how to spell it, let alone say it). So he has been saving hs money up for a car. I told him back when he was 14 and 15, to save enough for a down payment; carry a 3.0 grade average and Ill help u with a car. It was either that or he would drive a $1000 rust bucket around. So he saves enough, is carrying a 2.9 so I relented and we started looking around. The kicker here is that he came to me last week and said "Dad, listen to this! Just listen OK before u say no. I found a pair of sub woofers on Craigslist, BRAND NEW! for a grand! That’s it! One thousand dollars. I have the money and that’s what I want to get. What do you say?" After the neurons in brain tried to process this information in a timely fashion so I could answer this absurb proposal, I responded with "sure, its your money. You can buy what you want. But what are you going to do with the woofers" His response was "Why, Im going to put them in your jeep". I once read an article where it was explained how at age 16, the brain cant make good decisions or logical ones sometimes because it isn’t fully connected yet. So, I say to myself, ok, this is normal. My boy isn’t insane; he’s just acting like a 16 year old. I ask him what he is going to do about a car. He said he is going to save up, while the sub woofers sit in his room because they aren’t going in my car I told him. Once this sunk in, that he didn’t have a car to put them in, and they weren’t going in my car, logic sunk in. Ahhhh, sweet success. I don’t have a mentally challenged teen!

Se we look for a car. He is picky and Im short fused. So after a bit of searching we find a car. 2000 Grand AM with 46,000 miles on it. He tells me GrandAms suck. I said, well lets just look at it OK. He gets inside, sees the sliding sun roof and digs it. It was kinda dark out and he puts the key in and this radio in the dash lights up neon blue with LEDs flashing and casting a blue light through out the inside and no doubt from outside looking it. His eyes fixated on the hallucinogenic radio front and all the blinking lights. "Dad. I want this car. Its so me. This is incredible!" Sigh.... longer story shorter. We get the car. He is in love with it. Lesson learned for me is, with my next son who is 15 now, I will go out and buy a $200 radio with as many lights on it as I can and maybe add a couple of my own and put it in any piece of shit car I can find before he gets there and and maybe, just maybe I can save some money for the first time in my life.

Im tired, goin back to bed

No comments:

Post a Comment