Thursday, September 23, 2010

Retarded

What you call people is how you treat them. What you call my sister is how you will treat her. If you believe she’s ‘retarded’ it invites taunting, stigma. It invites bullying and it also invites the slammed doors of being treated with respect and dignity.”
–14-year-old Nick Marcellino, Rosa’s brother, in testimony to the Maryland General Assembly


This photo above just makes me melt inside. How could u not love a girl with a smile like that.  Incredible kid. Who would call her retarded to her face or otherwise.  That hurts me to know she has had it happen.  

Let me follow the above with by saying, I don't like the word retarded. I never had. I don't let my kids use it, I don't use it and I will check somebody politely if they use it in demeaning way. That word basically means that a "retarded" person is somehow at fault for being that way and its meant to be an insult. So, some good news on the front is headed our way in regards to the word "retarded". Disabilities advocates as well as I are applauding Congress for passing legislation that eliminates the term "mental retardation" from federal laws. This measure, passed by the House, changes the phrase "mentally retarded" to "an individual with an intellectual disability" in existing health, education and laws. Does it really change anything? Ahhh...probably not, but at least it makes some headway from a standpoint on how people with mental disabilities are looked at. How many of us haven't looked at somebody with a mental disability and see them doing something that looks funny to us and smiled. I have. I wont deny it because quite frankly, people do weird things whether they can control or not. In those cases I think I would like to use the word "mentally hilarious" but I use it even with non handicapped people who are acting crazy. But getting back to my feelings on this subject. I have a very soft spot as hard ass as I think I am for people and children that are handicapped mentally. Life is just so flipping hard by its self to have to go through it with looks and stares and pre determined stereotypes. I feel bad and Ive been told not to do that. They are just different, god made them different. That's all. My children feel the same way. I seem lots of changes in attitudes and feelings towards those with mental handicaps and I'm glad they changed the law even though its just words. Its called "Rosa's Law," named after a Maryland girl with Down Syndrome, and it passed the Senate last month and now goes to President Obama for his signature. I'm happy today that I read about this. High point for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment