Saturday, September 11, 2010

Run in With the Green Fairy

Somehow last night started out pretty rough. Trying to get out of the house. Friends waiting the living room watching some cartoon called Flapjack with my 9 year old. Finally got out around 10:30 and landed at a couple of seedy bars in a downtown area. Eclectic to say the least. I decided to make the night worthwhile and over talks about travels and drinks in Louisiana, namely the Sazerac  (one of the oldest known cocktails, with its origins in pre-Civil War New Orleans, Louisiana), All ll of a sudden got a taste for the recently approved for consumption in the states, absinthe.  You know, the drink that Van Gough drank that supposedly made him go insane and cut of his ear? Anyway, Ive drank the stuff in Amsterdam while there, and I hate a taste for it last night. "waiter!, one absinthe with a sugar cube over here!" Mixed it up and sipped it with my Amstel beer. I actually drank it all night while at the bar watching all the shit going on with a bar filled of midaged and young people (some at least 20 years below our ages). Casual and mellow buzz all night. This morning was a light rain and I woke to sounds from my wife saying we had a soccer game to attend at 9AM. Woke up, came down in my underwear, my daughter told me to put something on. I did, got dressed and found myself wondering across the expanse of the soccer field in rain still thinking about the Green Fairy and where I really am. Its a wonderfull day

No comments:

Post a Comment